David Mendes, PhD
David Mendes, PhD
After completing his PhD in cell biology in 2010 and knowing that the academic path was not the one for him, David scrambled to figure out how he could leverage his training and his strengths outside the university walls.
After finding out about medical communications and working in that space for five years, David became a solopreneur offering language services in the biomedical domain, a space where he could finally put to use his language skills, as well as his scientific background. Recently, David has co-founded PhDesign, a media agency dedicated exclusively to serving the research community and to bridging the gap between the lab and society.
In parallel to all this, and motivated by conversations with young researchers in the context of career fairs and career panels, David developed an interested for exploring the different ways people have navigated professional and personal life after completing their graduate degree. This curiosity and a deep-seated wish to help those now going through graduate school is what led him to launch the Papa PhD podcast.
Past Career Fair/Speaking Engagements
- GPDN/RPESP Career Symposium for Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Fellows (Keynote) – October 25, 2021
- SICB 2021 Annual Meeting – January 3 to February 28, 2021 – Wellness Track
- Colloque du GRIL – Études supérieures en science et employabilité au Québec – 9, 16 et 23 février 2021
- BEB Day 2019 – Find Your Trail – Center for Neuroscience and Cellular Biology, University of Coimbra, Portugal – December 9-10, 2019
- Atelier étudiant du Centre de recherche interdisciplinaire en réadaptation (CRIR) du Montréal métropolitain – Après les cycles supérieurs, je fais quoi? Sortons des sentiers battus – 30 juin 2022
- Carrières doctorales et compétences plurielles – Bénéfices de la rencontre avec les publics (Université de Bourgogne) – Employabilité et carrières pendant et après le doctorat – 12 mai 2022
- 13e Journée Phare – Congrès québécois en sciences de la santé – Table ronde : La communication et la vulgarisation scientifique dans notre société – 2 et 3 décembre 2021
- GSAN Career Panel – Post-PhD Careers – GSAN, McGill University – May 12th, 2021
- 88e Congrès de l’Acfas – Docteur·e·s mais pas chercheur·euse·s : comment valoriser ses compétences cœurs et son expérience professionnelle acquises en cours de doctorat – 3 au 7 mai 2021
- University of Westminster PhD Society – Life as a PhD Student… Symposium 2021 – April 8th-9th, 2021
- McGill Pharmaceutical Career Student Network – PCSN – McGill Career Planning Service – Pharmaceutical Career Day – May 11th, 2018
- Integrated Program in Neuroscience, McGill University – IPN Non-Academic Career Panel – February 1st, 2018
- McGill Career Planning Service – Science Communication Panel – Jan 27th, 2016