You’re finishing grad school, or you’ve just finished. Your project has brought you here and now – it had challenges, victories, failures, obstacles, successes. It has brought you excitement, frustration, exhilaration, anxiety, satisfaction. In it, you have asked questions, tested hypotheses, studied, discussed. But one question may still be unanswered – what comes after? In this episode, you will be meeting a guest that has deep insights to share about going through your graduate studies and about what comes after.
Joe Makkerh is a former scientist, now an entrepreneur working in high-end audio. Since finishing his PhD in cellular and molecular zoology, Joe transitioned from researcher to academic administrator to MBA student to business owner. His academic career has taken him from London to Heidelberg, to Montreal, where he now develops his business.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- The highs and lows of going through grad school, post-docs, and industry
- The importance of acceptance and resilience in completing a graduate program
- Tips on how to keep mentally and physically healthy throughout
- The importance of asking for help when feeling lost or discouraged
- The value of the transferable skills you keep from grad school and my not be aware of
- How the relationships you establish with people around you are the number one asset later in life
This episode’s pearl of wisdom:
“Just keep learning, no matter what it is.”
Joe’s links: baetisaudio.com
You might also like the following episodes:
Launching your podcast?
If you’re preparing to launch your podcast, you may be asking yourself what hosting platform to use.
I launched Papa PhD on Bluebrry because I wanted a professional service that would interface with my WordPress website, that would robustly broadcast Papa PhD to all platforms, and that would allow me to grow my podcast in years to come.
And these are the reasons why I’m recommending the Blubrry podcast hosting and syndication platform.
Click on the button below or use the promo code PapaPhDBlue on the Blubrry website to unlock a one month free trial:
If you are starting a serious podcast project, do consider one of the first podcasting hosts out there, offering state of the art services, including IAB certified statistics, based on years of experience in the podcasting space.